Monday, August 31, 2009

I can't believe it but...

Curiously, no beaching occured.


I didn't mention how awesome my trip to Florida was! This was my first real vacation ever (yes, its true. Apparently, there are people out there who can't believe I've never gone on a warm weather vacation or any kind of vacation at all. If you have, you should consider yourself blessed) and it was freaking amazing.

First of all, I got to leave camp for nearly four days. During this stretch was Visiting Day. If you have ever worked at an over night camp you know that Visiting Day is dreadful. Considering I didn't have a bunk of campers, the day would have been even more dreadful for me. I would have had nothing to do. So things worked out.

I left camp mid-day to make my 6:30pm flight (yes, this was neccessary). This was the longest flight I've ever taken by myself and I found it very lonely. However, I did sit next to a very nice old lady. The flight was uneventful and I got to Fort Lauderdale around 9:30pm. Seeing my best friend Becca for the first time in nearly two years was amazing. She had many fun things planned for our long weekend.

Rather than turning this entry into a novel, I'll make a list:

~Met her boyfriend and good friend at a hookah bar. I'd always wanted to go to one and it was pretty cool.
~Met her interesting roommate and her new "interest".
~Saw the salon Becca works at and was hand fed cake by an adorable male hair stylist upon our arrival.
~Went on a massive shopping trip to the mall. She's my best shopping buddy.
~Almost went out dancing. Watched PCU with her boyfriend instead.
~Slept on the couch and woke up to her roommate and the "interest" having sex because the roommate doesn't seem to understand that a folding wall isn't the same as an actual wall.
~Went to Vizcaya- a historic mansion in Miami. It was amazing and reminded me a lot of the Isabella Stewart Gardner house in Boston.
~Went for a walk Miami and decided that I was in The Birdcage.
~Went out to the Hard Rock Casino for drinks and such and had a really good mango Slurpee-type thing.
~ Saw alligators on an Airboat ride in the Everglades! This also included holding a young alligator named Larry. Clearly the jewel of my Florida trip photos.

I had a great time with Becca but we both agree that Florida is a terrible place. Firstly, every thing there is tan. The people, the roads the buildings, everything. Its ugly. Then there are the people who somehow were given driver's licenses. I can't even count how many times I had white knuckles in the car with Becca, and she's a really good driver. They all drive 80mph and are constantly on your ass and changing lanes 2inches in front of you. I thought I was going to die several times. Everything is highway in Florida, too. There is also no culture whatsoever. Vizcaya was the only thing that could be called such. Becca can't imagine raising her kids there and I don't blame her. This is good news for me, however because it means she'll be moving back up here eventually.

So that was my trip. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back to Fort Lauderdale in May for Becca's birthday. One thing's for sure, I need more vacations!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing time. Vacations rock! And congratulations on quickly determining that Florida has no culture.

    ReplyDelete