Thursday, May 14, 2009

Misadventures on the MBTA: Part 1

Isn't it beautiful?


Currently, I spend an hour and a half on the T each weekday. Some days I spend twice that riding with countless other people beneath the streets of Boston (and through East Boston and Chelsea and Revere). I have to say, there are many strange people down there with me. I've decided that I should chronicle the out of the ordinary and sometimes just plain bizarre occurrences that take place on my daily commute.

This morning on the Blue Line, I overheard the woman sitting across from me telling an older woman next to her about her recent (I surmised) run in with the 5-0. I didn't catch what she was arrested for but the friend she called to bail her out misunderstood her and several of her friends showed up at the station with $40 each when her bail was actually $340. She had to call her aunt to bring the correct amount of money. I wish I knew what she had done because outwardly she looked like a law-abiding person.

Also on the Blue Line, shortly after the aforementioned story was overheard, I glimpsed at (I think) Beachmont Station a cop carrying a massive machine gun. The only place I've ever seen a machine gun in public like that was when I was in Israel. Cops packing those are the norm there. Now tell me, what kind of situation would be likely to occur on a Thursday morning on the Blue Line that would involve someone toting around a machine gun? Last I heard there weren't any violent riots planned for today.

Things are never dull on the T.

No comments:

Post a Comment