
So yesterday when I was thinking about what I was going to blog about next, I was going to say something about how I've really come to appreciate possible future employers who send you a notification of some sort when they receive your resume. Its always a bit nerve wracking when you apply for a really great job and never hear anything from the company/organization, etc. I then start to wonder if my resume got lost in the mail or in cyberspace. Or worse yet, as happened to me, that maybe the job has actually already been filled and they've just neglected to take it down from their website. Most of the jobs I have applied for recently have asked not to receive any phone calls about the status of resumes. I tend to respect their wishes for fear of pissing them off and ruining any chance I may have had.
A few weeks ago, I received a note in the mail (handwritten even!) saying that the job I applied for had actually been filled in September and no one had realized that it was still posted on a website. Really, that's all I want. Just some sort of hint as to where I stand or even if an organization is aware that I applied for a job there. It was really nice of this person to take the time to inform me, even if there was no longer a position to apply for. Unfortunately, this incident has also made me paranoid when searching for jobs online. Who knows if those openings even exist anymore?
Then, this morning, I found a nice suprise waiting for me in my inbox. I got an email asking to set up a phone interview with an organization that I applied to over three weeks ago. I'd given up hope already. I'm so excited about it that I don't even care that it took a ridiculously long time for this person to get back to me.

That's great news! And just in time.
ReplyDelete