Monday, April 27, 2009

Its the little things that count...


While there are many things I miss about being in college, I think the best part of being a graduate is that I now have ample time to read whatever I want. I don't miss having to read whatever books are on the syllabus by a certain time. I especially don't miss falling asleep trying to read something for class (this means you, Beloved). I really enjoy this little new-found freedom. Since graduating I've significantly enlarged my personal library as well as racked up something like $40 in library fines from the BPL and my more local library (go me!). Now you see where my paychecks go.

I've mostly been reading historical fiction. Mainly anything pertaining to the Wars of the Roses or the Tudor dynasty in England, all between the 14th and 17th centuries with a few exceptions, of course. I don't know why I love it so much but there's just something engrossing about English royalty... probably because I'm American and have no national connection to anything more royal than a deck of cards. My favorite book I've read in the last year has to be A Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith.


I'd really like to find a book group to join. I love discussing what I've read. Does anyone know of a good one?


(subsequently, I'm also obsessed with The Tudors on Showtime.)

2 comments:

  1. You might check on Craig's List for a book group in your area. I find that it has to be convenient to get to otherwise you might not keep going. Or a local bookstore might have flyers advertising local book groups.

    ReplyDelete